Monday, May 26, 2008

About This Blog: The Long Version

I almost named this blog “Hidden Treasure” because of the surprising and delightful imagery in these Scriptural passages:

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field” (Matt. 13:44).

“Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge’ Col. 2:2b-3.

The law . . . the statutes . . . the precepts . . . the commands . . . the fear . . . the ordinances of the Lord . . . are more precious than gold . . . [I]n keeping them there is great reward” (Psa. 19:7-11).
(Boldfacing and enlargement added.)

I consider this imagery surprising because . . . WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT that anything religious could inspire joy?!! Could be considered a treasure--more precious than gold?!! I consider this imagery delightful because … this is treasure that anyone can find.

So I almost named my blog “Hidden Treasure,” but somewhere along the line, the phrase “treasure trove” came to mind. In consulting Webster’s, I discovered that “trove” is the past participle of the Old French verb trover, “to find.” So a treasure trove is “found treasure.”

I LIKE THAT. Of what use is treasure unless it is found? And so “CM’s Treasure Trove” is about the valuable insights, understandings, and messages that I find day by day as read the Bible and follow Christ--finds that water my soul, enlighten my mind, change my heart, and activate my spirit.

No comments: